The Elliott School’s Institute for Middle East Studies congratulates the following students who received prestigious fellowships for regional language studies!!
Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) from the U.S. Department of Education:
Academic Year 2019-2020
- Shabnam Ahmed (MPH GEH ‘20), Persian
- Duran Delgadillo (MA MES ’20), Arabic
- Iman Elbana (MA MES ‘21), Arabic
- Anita Farsad (MA Ed. H.D. ’20) Arabic
- Tyler Malcolm (MA MES ‘21), Arabic
- Cayla Monk (MA SPS ’20), Arabic
- Ryan Salzman (MA SPS ’20), Arabic
- Leore Ben-Chorin (PhD PSC), Persian
- Mark Berlin (PhD PSC), Arabic
- Alex Gray (MA MES ‘20), Persian
- Kathryn Halloran (MA MES ’20), Arabic
- Christiana Haynes (MA MES ’20), Arabic
- Robert Hildebrandt (PhD ANTH), Hebrew
- Anna Jozwick (MA MES ’20), Persian
- Alexander Shanahan (MA MES ‘20), Arabic
Boren Fellowship from the U.S. State Department:
- Anne Armstrong (MA SPS), Arabic
- Michael Letkewicz (MA SPS), Arabic
- Tyler Malcolm (MA MES), Arabic
We at GW are very proud of our exceptional students, and we wish them the best of luck wherever their language studies may take them this summer or this coming academic year!
The FLAS Fellowships are part of a U.S. government initiative to assist meritorious students undergoing training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies. The Boren Fellowship is part of a U.S. government initiative to increase the number of Americans studying and gaining proficiency in foreign languages deemed vital to U.S. national security interests.